Leave fresh, arrive fresh
Over the past 45 years, MSC has gone beyond the port, developing
an integrated network of road and rail solutions across the world,
connecting remote areas and expanding inland infrastructures.
The transportation of food around the world keeps increasing, particularly in the emerging countries where purchasing power is growing stronger. This has had an impact on dietary habits, as international products are becoming more readily available. Whilst the reefer business has been developing over the years, MSC has continuously adapted to the demands of customers.
We have improved our reefer container fleet but more importantly, we have ensured we train and develop teams of reefer experts in our agencies around the world.
At MSC, we understand the importance of preserving the condition of our customers’ cargo from the moment it is loaded until the moment it reaches its delivery point. Over the years, we have built a strong experience and expertise in transporting fresh fruit. One of the principal aims of our reefer teams is to provide our customers with the very best service and equipment to fulfil their individual requirements.
They also carry out a thorough ‘pre-trip’ inspection (PTI) of each reefer container before it is released to a customer.
Once the checks have been completed, the date, time and the name of the expert who completed the inspection is documented on a label attached to the container. This means you will always receive clean, un-damaged, safe containers and the temperature control machinery will be in perfect working order. Our 1,000
reefer experts will support you through each step of the preparation of your refrigerated shipment.
THE PRE-TRIP INSPECTION INCLUDES
- Cleaning to eliminate dirt and odours
- Checks to ensure the inside of the container is up to food-grade specification
- Checks to ensure machinery is functioning to industry standard
- Making sure the container temperature is lowered to the correct point selected
KEY CONSIDERATIONS WHEN PREPARING FOR A REFRIGERATED SHIPMENT
- Pre-cooling – cargo should be pre-cooled to the required temperature before being stuffed into the reefer container
- Additional setting requirements such as dehumidification control, fresh air ventilation and controlled/modified atmosphere, if necessary
- Maximum shelf life and transport time
- Required documentation, legal restrictions and other rules and regulations
- Volume and weight of the goods
- General stowage instructions
- Optimum packaging material and cartons for perishable cargo
BEFORE AND DURING STUFFING CUSTOMERS SHOULD ENSURE:
- Temperature, ventilation and dehumidification are set correctly
- The unit temperature is not programmed below the set point required; this will not help to decrease the temperature faster
- The goods have correct transport-temperature and condition
- Cargo is never stowed above the red line
- Cargo is lashed and secured properly
- Payload does not exceed the maximum allowed for the container, considering the cargo and the towage material weight
- Gross weight of the container does not exceed limits imposed by transit countries
- The container floor is covered in order to avoid short circuiting of the refrigerated air (e.g. with pallets, cardboard or any filler material)
- Not to stuff cargo beyond the end of the T-bar floor (T-floor); the T-floor is made of aluminium and designed to optimise the airflow in the container
- Not to plug channels at the end of the T-floor
- That the cooling machinery is never functioning with open doors
- During stowage, the Genset should be OFF to prevent exhaust gases from reaching the cargo area
Our reefer units are available in both 20ft and 40ft high cube ; both of which are controlled through an integrated microprocessor and come capable of fresh air adjustment, dehumidification, CFC-free insulation
(ensuring minimum temperature loss) and cooling/heating machinery of the highest quality.
In addition, our reefer containers are fitted with software programmed to display specific alarm codes should a malfunction be detected. Our fully trained engineers are notified simultaneously and can attend the unit directly, thus ensuring the quality of the product is not compromised.
Book now with MSC from your favorite platform: