Government Approval Status
- The Director General of Sea Transportation, Ministry of Transport, recently issued Regulation No. Hk.103/2/4/DTP2_16 on Verified Gross Mass of Container (VGM) carried by vessel (DG Regulation), which has been effective since 1 June 2016.
- The DG Regulation aims to implement the VGM requirements for container as required by the Amendment to the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS).
- In the event if there is a discrepancy between the weights of the container received before container arrived at the terminal facility at the port and the VGM acquired through the weighing facility in the port, then the VGM that is recognized is the one acquired from the terminal facility in the port.
- Container exceeding the maximum gross weight as stated by the Safety Approval Plate (CSC Safety Plate) will not be loaded into the vessel.
- Failure to comply with the DG Regulation is punishable by a sanction in a form of prohibition to load the container to the vessel by the port authority (syahbandar) which may impact the financing including postponement of loading or demurrage or return of container as stipulated by a contract between the parties.
What to include in your VGM instructions to MSC
- The following items are mandatory and must be on all VGM instructions
- Booking or BL number
- Container number
- VGM – Verified Gross Mass
- Authorized person’s signatory (submitter of the VGM who may be authorized to act on behalf of shippers)
- Responsible party Name (Shipper on B/L)
How to submit you VGM instructions?
- INTTRA; GT NEXUS; Cargo SMart
- Via email- email@example.com
- Subject Header of the Email, please indicate as <Submit VGM – Loading Vessel Name & Voyage – MSC assigned Booking Number>.
Deadlines for sending your VGM instructions
VGM cut-off deadlines for Email submission = 48 hours prior to Vessel ETA
VGM cut-off deadlines EDI channels = Container yard (CY) cut-off time
Admin Fees and Costs
MSC Indonesia encourages clients to declare VGM via online submission. There are no administrative charges imposed by MSC for the moment. Should there be new information, we will share with you.
Should there be any charges levied by 3rd party or by MSC incurred as a result of NO VGM received timely, will be for Shipper’s account.
For Part-Load shipments – instances where there are multiple Shippers consolidating their cargo in the same container. Please appoint 1 of the Shipper to submit VGM per container to MSC.
VGM cut-off information is available on the Booking Confirmation Form & MSC.com.
Amendments of VGM information are allowed before the assigned deadline.
Customer Desk Services +6221 5080 5000 ext #300